I just saw this on SecondaryCEIAG’s blog and it really struck a chord with me. Firstly it’s an excellent video with a clear and powerful message around careers choice and happenstance.
Secondly it did leave me with a few extra thoughts though:
- Why is planning so pervasive and what can we do to engage students with happenstance more?
- Will happenstance alienate some people who are already engaged it planning and leave them worse off?
- How can we help students understand what they should be doing so they actively engage with chance?
- How does it re-frame our services?
- Don’t you need to plan and take action now for some careers? i.e. you can’t become a lawyer without a LLB, a Doctor without medical training etc.